Pages

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

CosmoPOD - The Ultimate Online Desktop

I had a dream that someday I no longer need to buy any computer or notebook what so ever. I just need to go to any FREE client terminal all around the world to access my online desktop where I can do my daily routine and job. Impossible? Maybe I don't have to dream anymore because CosmoPOD has it all, well almost.

Back to my dream, the advantages of having the online desktop are:
  • no hardware maintenance
  • don't have to worry about virus / spam / malware / spyware
  • no need to worry about compatibility, patches and upgrade because all software and hardware is taken care of by the service provider.
  • no need to reinstall everything each time I use any different PC. e.g YM messenger, etc.
  • insanely flexible and mobile: I just need a browser with internet anywhere in the world and TADA!!
And of course there are disadvantages
  • what happen if there is no internet? Sigh!
  • hardware getting more expensive because there is no demand anymore
  • business related to personal computer collapsed, or maybe we don't have to use money anymore at that time
Anyway CosmoPOD allows you to run a remote Linux PC from your desktop without having to actually install a Linux operating system. Once inside your new CosmoPOD desktop, you will have access to dozens of free or open source applications. There are two types of accounts, FREE and premium account. For the FREE account you will get 50+ applications running on your desktop with 1 GB storage. For the premium account you will get 100+ application, 3GB storage, write/download and run software and many more goodies.

CosmoPOD team taking a sweet time on developing this AJAX based desktop because they know that they are already ahead of the game. They said that many AJAX proponents already exist in a mature stage on Linux, so why go reimplement them from scratch?

If you are new to Linux OS, maybe you want to try out the free account first so that you can get the feel. As for me I don't care what OS or software to play around as long as it deliver the way I want it to be.

No comments: