Pages

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Malaysia Broadband ISP

How do you browse, if I may ask? Did you subscribe a broadband service from your local ISP? Nowadays you barely can surf with 56kb dial up connection, considering if you are one of the YouTube, P2P services junkie.

Currently I'm using an ASDL from my office and dial up from my home. I'm seriously considering to upgrade my internet service for my home usage, so I dig around. Here is some information about ISP in Malaysia with broadband services:

  1. TMnet Streamyx - Wired
  2. Jaring Broadband Wired/Wireless - Wired/Wireless
  3. Time Broadband - Various
  4. Airzed WiMax - Wireless
  5. DiGi Mobile Broadband - Wireless
  6. Nasion 1 Wireless Broadband - Wireless
  7. Maxis Wireless Broadband - Wireless
  8. Maxis 3G - 3G
  9. Celcom 3G - 3G
  10. Smart Ku-Band - Satellite
  11. Smart C-Band - Satellite
  12. EB Technologies MyWave24 - Wireless/Wired
  13. PenangFon - Wired
  14. AtlasOne - Wireless
  15. MyKris - Wireless
  16. ZapZone - Wireless
  17. GoLightSpeed - Wireless
Wow that much? Currently TMNet taking the most share on the Malaysia broadband pie. The problem with TMNet ADSL broadband services is that you wont get the speed that you subscribed. Look carefully to their terms, TMNet's broadband speed is based on best effort and factors such as; Quality of the copper cable (Yup we still use copper), distance from the supporting TM exchange, weather, electromagnetic effects, PC performance, Internet traffic during the period, and the website that you visit. Recently TMNet caught the copper line thieves which is turn to be their own supplier. Sigh... Coincident?

All and all I just hope the Malaysia's broadband service and penetration should be improved by widening the service using microwave (WiMax) or using Power Line Communication (PLC) technology in near future.

1 comment:

Miss Positive said...

Wow, hi! I'm glad I found your blog. I've been wondering what kind of wireless broadband services to use and you have compiled a list, which makes things easier!

Anyway, can you recommend a reliable wireless broadband service? I'm so confused! Is Maxis Wireless Broadband good? Can I go online smoothly if I were to stay in an apartment?

Thanks!