Pages

Monday, February 26, 2007

My First Windows Vista

When I had to buy a notebook for my wife last week, it's clear that this is my chance to test out the new OS from Microsoft, Windows Vista. Yeah it's a risky move but I believe eventually we all have to face it sooner or later. Remember the moment when you had to change to Windows XP? This is exatcly the same situation. Read on.

We decided to buy the Dell Inspiron 640m. I like XPS better but my missus reminded me about the budget so I had to stick with the budget range. Next step is the OS selection. This is where I had my first confusion, to choose which version of Vista is suitable for us. They have 5 version of Vista (official Microsoft page), but I believe Dell offered 6 type of Vista. Since this is my first Vista experience, so I simply pick Vista Home Premium. It said something to do with AERO experience (what the heck is that?) Later I found out that it's a redesigned user interface and visual style developed by the Microsoft.

The moment I get my hand on this OS, I start installing all my usual stuff; WampServer, Yahoo IM, Firefox, Opera, SQLyog, Photoshop CS, SPSS and Zend Develeopment Environment. The WampServer 5 had no big issue with Vista however I can't figure out how to install their services. Now SPSS is a different story. I just can't figure how to to install it. I tried to install SPSS from edition 10 to 14 but Vista just rejected it all.

As for the Photoshop CS2, when I first launch the program, it terminate itself right after launching the software activation program. Simply run the program as administrator by right clicking the program icon and select 'run as administrator' to overcome this problem.

Oh well, it's all as I expected. There is always a glitch every time when you want to migrate from one system to another. As for the Windows Vista, if your programs aren't working, I mean almost all of them, perhaps Vista is the last options on your list.

I read lots of negative comment about Vista, some are being cynical but for the rest of us, we just don't care.





No comments: