Pages

Friday, November 02, 2007

3G Network Connected to D-Link Mobile Broadband Router


Yesterday I went to Low Yatt and decided to subscribe Celcom 3G service. I've visited a few wireless broadband like Maxis 3G broadband and Izzi 4G broadband but none of the service suits my need. I need a 3G service that can reach as far as Semenyih with no restriction on yearly contract. The Maxis marketing representative mumbling something at their booth which I can't understand a word so I just walk to Izzi booth and waited there. Like Apek in EJen 016 said... I wait forever. So moving on to the last broadband booth, Celcom.

Currently Celcom Broadband offering 3 type of subscription;
  • Daily Unlimited
    - RM8/24hours
    - Up to 384 kbps

  • Monthly Unlimited Basic
    - RM68/month
    - Up to 384 kbps

  • Monthy Unlimited Advance
    - RM 120/month
    - Up to 3.6 Mbps


Here is the catch, for a start you need to buy the 3G modem. There are 3 type of modem; USB, XpressCard and PCMCIA card. The USB modem, the one that showed in TV commercial, priced at RM1200. As for the XpressCard, there are 3 types to choose with prices RM899 to RM999. And for the PCMCIA type there are 2 prices RM399 & RM499. The prices differ merely because of the brand. The one carrying Vodafone brand are much higher.

Now I'm in delima. My home notebook uses XpressCard, my office notebook uses PCMCIA. To eliminate this differences, I can simply pick the USB modem. But the price is too much for me. So I choose the cheapest option of all - the RM 399 PCMCIA modem card.

Now I need to find either a PCMCIA adapater to USB or a 3G router to stay connected between this 2 notebooks. I looked for the adapter first but no luck. Even Sri Computer don't have it. So the only option left is the 3G router. Currently the only 3G router available in Low Yatt is the D-Link 3G Mobile Broadband Router and priced about RM599 (your bargain skill might come handy here).

So the total cost of having a 3G broadband at all my home is around RM970. Huhuhu that too much for me already. So I'm thinking on how to get back my investment? Since I have the wireless router, maybe I could open-up the internet access to my neighbor. Is it legal?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Legal or not, it's all a question of whether they can ever catch you for it! Same can be said for homosexual couples having sex. Yes, it may be illegal, but if they are living together as housemates, who is to question what is going on indoors? :)
Just make sure your partner in crime don't squel on you!